WOULD YOU KNOW HOW TO HELP?
We all have mental health, just as we all have physical health. Mental ill health can strike at any time and can affect people from all walks of life. Although things are improving, stigma still exists around mental ill health. As a society, we don’t tend to know how to take care of our mental health like we do our physical health. This means that people may not know how to support a friend, family member or colleague experiencing a mental health issue, or where to go for support with their own mental health. 1 in 4 of us will experience mental ill health in the next 12 months, would you know how to signpost and support your colleague to enable them to receive the appropriate level of care and support that they need.
WHAT IS MENTAL HEALTH FIRST AID?
Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) is an internationally recognised training course, designed to teach participants how to spot the signs and symptoms of mental ill health and provide support and assistance. I am an approved MHFA England Instructor and deliver the following adult courses; Two Day Course – Become a Mental Health First Aider, One Day – Become a Mental Health Champion and the Half Day – Mental Health Aware.
WHY IS IT RIGHT FOR ME & MY ORGANISATION?
By completing MHFA training you will be making a commitment to the mental health and wellbeing of all staff within your organisation. Equipping staff with the knowledge and skills needed to create a mentally healthy work place culture. Your organisation will have a deeper understanding of the issues that impact on and relate to people’s mental health and the practical skills that can be used every day, including being able to spot the signs and symptoms of mental health issues and feel confident guiding people towards appropriate support.
Wellness For All offers 3 courses for Adult Mental Health. Read below to find the right one for you.
BECOME A MENTAL HEALTH FIRST AIDER
2 Day course
Our Adult MHFA two Day course qualifies you as a Mental Health First Aider.
Mental Health First Aiders have:
- An in depth understanding of mental health and the factors that can affect wellbeing
- Practical skills to spot the triggers and signs of mental health issues
- Confidence to step in, reassure and support a person in distress
- Enhanced interpersonal skills such as non-judgemental listening
- Knowledge to help someone recover their health by guiding them to further support – whether that’s self-help resources, through their employer, the NHS, or a mix
Learning takes place across four manageable sessions. Through a mix of group activities, presentations and discussions, each session is built around a Mental Health First Aid action plan. You will get an MHFA manual, workbook, lanyard and action plan to keep and refer to whenever you need it.
When you complete the day you’ll get a certificate to say you are an MHFA Champion
BECOME A MHFA CHAMPION
1 Day course
Our one day mental health awareness and skills course qualifies you as an Adult MHFA Champion.
MHFA Champions have:
- An understanding of common mental health issues
- Knowledge and confidence to advocate for mental health awareness
- Ability to spot signs of mental ill health
- Skills to support positive wellbeing
We limit numbers to 16 people per course so that the instructor can keep people safe and supported while they learn.
The day includes a mix of presentations, group discussions and workshop activities. You will get an MHFA manual to keep and refer to whenever you need it.
When you complete the day you’ll get a certificate to say you are an MHFA Champion.
BECOME MENTAL HEALTH AWARE
1/2 Day course
Our half day course is an introductory four hour session to raise awareness of mental health.
It is designed to give you:
- An understanding of what mental health is and how to challenge stigma
- A basic knowledge of some common mental health issues
- An introduction to looking after your own mental health and maintaining wellbeing
- Confidence to support someone in distress or who may be experiencing a mental health issue
Learning takes place through a mix of presentations, group discussions and workshop activities. We limit numbers to 25 people per course so that the instructor can keep people safe and supported while they learn.
Everyone who completes the course gets:
A manual to refer to whenever you need it
A workbook including a helpful toolkit to support your own mental health
A certificate of attendance to say you are Mental Health Aware